There are always tips out there that everyone is able to use to benefit them during the puppy or dog training process. This is a process that you want to make sure that you are doing everything in your power to stick with. The more you stick with it, the better the outcome is going to be.
Remember, repetition and staying with the schedule is key to getting your pup to do what you want – potty outside!
Do not use ammonia-based cleaners
- because this is a component that is usually found in dog urine. You want to use something when cleaning up accidents that completely removes the smell from that area. Enzyme-based cleaners are generally recommended.
Give your dog a treat every time they are going to the bathroom outside.
- Don’t skip a time! Not only does this make them want to use the bathroom outside, but it helps them go to the bathroom much faster.
Make sure to feed your dog the recommended amount and do not underfeed them.
- Puppies need food to grow and you want to make sure you know their bathroom routine by knowing when they ate.
If you find the dog waiting by the door, take them out immediately.
- If they go outside and use the bathroom in their spot, give them a reward. The more times they are rewarded, the more they will want to do it.
Be calm when addressing accidents.
- If you catch them mid-act, make sure to say something firm and loud, and then bring them out to where they need to go use the bathroom.
Give your dog extra time outside if they seem to not want to do their business right away.
- This can help them to eliminate it all.
Do not distract the pup
- while outside trying to go because you do not want them to hold half of their urine instead of letting it all out. Be calm, assertive, and let them know they’re doing a great job.
The more you train your pup, the more you’re going to stick with the routine and feel more comfortable training them. This is something that is going to help both you and pup during the process.